The specific goal of the present learning situation is to help learners develop their language resources in the context of carrying out an environmental awareness campaign in their school community focused on the issue of waste disposal. (In this learning situation, Lets Talk Trash, waste refers to solid waste; i.e. the waste we put in our garbage bins and that ends up in landfills, not the more general kind of waste referred to when people overuse water or electricity or gas, for example). ). In order to achieve their goal of raising awareness in others, learners must first inform themselves about the extent and urgency of the problem and explore ways of reducing waste. They must then decide what information to focus on in their awareness campaign and how best to organize and present it in their campaign materials.
The activities require learners to read and listen to a variety of informative texts and to produce written texts for a wider public. Learners thereby enhance their language proficiency, extend their real-world knowledge of an important environmental issue, gain experience in researching external resources, and develop a sense of responsibility in fulfilling their civic duties.
1. The first activity, Listening to the Song Garbage, is a warm-up or introductory activity intended to engage learners interest and sensitize them to the issue of waste disposal and its impact on the environment.
2. In the second activity, Exploring Statistics, learners explore some statistics related to waste disposal and its impact on the environment in order to raise their own awareness of the extent and urgency of the problem in our society. They take note of any information that may prove useful for the upcoming campaign.
3. In the third activity, Finding Out about the Lifecycle of a Consumer Product, learners watch a 20-minute video about the lifecycle of a consumer product in order In order to gain a more in-depth understanding of the problem.
4. In the fourth activity, Exploring Solutions, learners investigate ways of reducing the negative impact of waste disposal on the environment through the practice of the 3 Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle).
5. In the final activity, Creating Materials for an Awareness-raising Campaign, learners use the information they collected in the previous activities to produce materials for an awareness-raising campaign in the adult education centre.
This learning situation targets learners who have reached the end of their presecondary language development level. The learners are invited to carry out an environmental awareness campaign in their school community focused on the issue of waste disposal.
CA1 - Interacting orally in matters related to civic and social duties in the community
CA2 - Listening to informative texts related to civic and social duties in the community
CA3 - Reading informative texts related to civic and social duties in the community
CA4 - Writing informative and expressive texts related to civic and social duties in the community
EK1 - Types of discourse (informative and expressive)
EK2 - Discourse cues and features
EK3 - Speaking, listening, reading, and writing, strategies, techniques and procedures
EK4 - The writing system
EK5 - Language functions
EK6 - Sociolinguistic features
EK7 - Grammar and syntax
EK8 - Vocabulary related to civic responsibilities and participation in the community
OC1 - Communicates
OC2 - Thinks logically
OC3 - Cooperates
Plus de 9 h / Travail d'équipe
INTÉGRATION DES TIC
S'informer / Communiquer / Soutenir la métacognition / Créer/produire
Moins de 20 ans / Immigrantes / Handicapées